The steamer TWO MYRTLES was built at Manitowac, Wisconsin in 1899. Her dimensions were: length, 80.2 feet; beam, 22’8 feet; hull depth, 7.1 feet; and gross tonnage, 96 tons. Her original owner was John Johnson of Manitowoc, WI. In 1908, the TWO MYRTLES was purchased by the U. S. Lighthouse Service and converted to a Lighthouse Tender for employment on the Great Lakes. In 1913 her name was changed to CLOVER. Photo courtesy of the Milwaukee Public Library
The vessel remained in service as a Great Lakes Lighthouse Tender until 1934, when she was sold to Leo Goetz of DeTour, MI, who restored her original name of TWO MYRTLES. In 1939, the vessel was owned by the estate of Leo Goetz. Local lore has it that the TWO MYRTLES changed ownership at least once during the early 1940’s and that sometime during the middle 1940’s she was abandoned at the Watson Dock complex on the north side of DeTour.
The area on the north side of the Watson Dock complex is such a jumbled mess of debris that it is very difficult to discern the wreckage of the TWO MYRTLES from the wreckage of the dock complex. To make the situation even worse, visibility in that area is almost always very poor. This is not a very desirable wreck site to visit.
The wreck lies in 5 to 10 feet of water along the north side of the Watson Dock complex at the north end of DeTour Village. Lat/Long Coordinates are: